Providing Care During Surgery
Anesthesiologists are highly trained physicians who administer anesthesia and provide care to patients throughout surgical procedures, including:
- Medical evaluation prior to surgery
- Consulting with the surgical team
- Providing pain control and support of life functions during surgery
- Supervising care immediately following surgery
- Medically discharging the patient from the recovery unit.
The anesthesia team at Fort Duncan Regional Medical Center performs general surgery anesthesia, ambulatory surgery anesthesia and clinical anesthesia for obstetrical cases, including vaginal deliveries and cesarean sections. Anesthesiologists also use a variety of techniques of regional analgesia for labor, including epidural, spinal, combined spinal epidural, ambulatory ("walking") epidural and patient-controlled epidural analgesia.